WHY DO THIS?
If you’re using store-bought aerosol fresheners at home, you’re likely spraying two toxic chemicals in the air: benzene and formaldehyde. By making your own air fresheners, you’ll avoid these harmful chemicals and the health problems that can come along with them. Here are a 5 easy and quick ways to improve the air and make it smell good!
1. Spicy potpourri. In a Ziploc bag, mix one ounce of cinnamon sticks, a small container of whole cloves and a small container of allspice. Give the bag a good shake! Take one teaspoon of the spice blend and mix it with one cup of water. Pour the blend into a saucepan on your stove, bring to a boil, and then let it simmer to create a potpourri with some kick!
2. Vanilla spritzer. Combine a few drops of vanilla extract with a cup of water. Add this mixture to a spray bottle. Use this all-purpose air freshener anywhere in the house to dispel funky odors. Tip: Spray this in your empty vacuum bags – it will freshen up your carpet while you work!
3. Classic vinegar If you have an entire room that just reeks, fill a small bowl with vinegar and place it in the middle of the room. The vinegar will absorb pretty much any stench.
4. Dried lavender. Fill small, breathable sacks with lavender sprigs and place them in the bathroom, in your closets or in drawers. Tea bags work well for this. Bonus: Lavender is known to help improve your mood!
5. Apple and ginger. Gather sliced ginger, lemon juice and a big handful of apple peels. Add your ingredients together in a saucepan and cover them with water. Bring the concoction to a boil on your stovetop. Then, turn down the heat and let the mixture boil until the water has evaporated. (This is a great seasonal choice for fall and winter!)